As someone, who constantly exercises, you’re probably obsessed with keeping yourself in topnotch shape. Unfortunately, exercising and running consistently can actually be problematic. This is especially true for those that run outside, where there is very little cushioning and support. Also, failing to maintain proper posturing can lead directly to pain and suffering. Runner’s knee is a complication, which commonly plagues frequent runners and joggers. Within this comprehensive guide, you’ll learn more about it and how to choose the best knee braces for running.
What Is Runner’s Knee?
First and foremost, you should familiarize yourself with the basics. Runner’s knee is a complication, which typically targets runners. Other athletes are also prone to the condition. If your knees bend constantly throughout the day, whether due to heavy lifting or biking, you may very well develop this problem. Although runner’s knee is the term, which is bestowed upon the ailment, it isn’t a singular condition. Instead, the term is utilized to refer to a handful of different disorders and each of them has a unique cause. The ailment is also commonly known as patellofemoral pain syndrome.
What Causes Runner’s Knee?
Runner’s knee is a very common condition that is often diagnosed in athletes that participate in strenuous activities such as running, biking, weightlifting, and jumping. While there are various factors linked to runner’s knee, most reported cases are caused by extreme overuse.
- Repetition Exercises – can play a huge role in runner’s knee and other joint injuries. The patellofemoral joint is often the target of repetitive injuries. The patella or kneecap and the femur meet to create the patellofemoral, which is located near the anterior (front) of the patella.
- Trauma – such as a direct blow to the patella can also cause runner’s knee. Many elderly adults will experience this type of trauma linked to a fall.
- Feet Disorders – such as low arches, overpronation, and genu varum (bow-legged) can also trigger symptoms of runner’s knee. If you are suffering from one of these condition, it would be wise to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic or podiatrist. Treating these conditions appropriately will decrease your risks of developing runner’s knee later in life.
- Weak Leg Muscles – is the cause of various feet, knee, and hip conditions. Weak quadriceps (thigh muscle) can cause weight disproportions, leading to extreme stress being placed on the patellofemoral joint.
Symptoms Of Runner’s Knee
Runner’s knee is a common injury that occurs in many athletes and runners alike. Many people will make the mistake of ignoring the pain, while thinking that it is strain. This is a mistake that you want to avoid because, runner’s knee can lead to very serious implications. When it comes down to it, there are no specifics associated with runner’s knee. This is a term that is utilized to cover several different disorders. In order to avoid fighting through the pain, you need to understand the symptoms of runner’s knee.
In order to specifically diagnose runner’s knee you will need to visit a trained medical physician. The physician will probably give you a very thorough examination that might include a MRI, CT Scan, and X-Ray. However, some common symptoms of runner’s knee can be found below.
- Pain when the knee bends. This could be when you are walking, squatting, raising in a chair, or running.
- Pain will present itself behind the kneecap, specifically where the kneecap and thighbone meet
- Experiencing pain when walking downstairs or downhill
- Swelling of the kneecap
- Grinding and popping noises in the knee
Preventing Runner’s Knee
Sometimes, the best treatment is actually prevention. If you’re able to avoid the complication in the first place, you’ll be able to skip the pain and suffering associated with the ailment. Since you’ll have no interest in giving up your job or putting a halt to running, you’ll want to use the tips below to try and avoid knee problems.
- Regular exercise is a necessity. By exercising commonly, you’ll be able to strengthen and increase the flexibility of your thigh muscles. This can help to reduce the amount of stress on your knees and thus will prevent pain and suffering.
- In some cases, foot problems can directly result in runner’s knee. Utilizing orthotics can rectify this problem, fix your foot problem and prevent runner’s knee.
- Wearing the right shoes is essential. Make sure your shoes provide a sufficient amount of support and fit perfectly. This will help you avoid knee pain, while also eliminating the potential for blisters.
- If you’re able to run on a treadmill, you should do so. Treadmills offer additional support, which isn’t available with concrete and other hard surfaces.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is crucial. Those that are overweight add additional stress to their knees and will be much more likely to suffer from knee aches and pains.
- Although you may feel the need to up the ante and increase the intensity of your workout, you should refrain from pushing yourself too far too fast. Increase the intensity of your exercises in small increments, so you do not wind up injuring yourself in the process.
- Utilizing a knee brace can be immensely beneficial. With the right ones, you’ll be able to provide your knees with additional support and help them maintain the right posture. Even if you’ve never suffered from knee pain, you should wear a brace, when running for extensive durations.
Despite going above and beyond to try and avoid runner’s knee, the condition is sometimes inevitable.
Although runner’s knee can result in excruciating pain, the condition is usually not long-term. In fact, the majority of cases will actually dissipate on their own with a little bit of time and rest. Below, you’ll discover a handful of tips, which can help speed up the recovery process, so you can return to running much quicker.
- Be sure to get plenty of rest. During this period, you should avoid putting a substantial amount of weight on your knees.
- Icing can help to reduce the swelling and pain associated with runner’s knee. Icing should be performed for twenty or thirty minutes ever few hours, until the pain is eliminated.
- Compressions can also be effective. Wrap the knee with a tight bandage to provide it with additional support.
- Remember to keep your impacted knee elevated. This will help to improve blood flow to the knee and will speed up the recovery process.
- NSAIDs can be very helpful for eliminating swelling and pain. However, these medications come with some side effects and potential risks, so they’re best avoided.
- Try stretching the impacted area. This can help to increase the flexibility of the muscles, while also strengthening them.
With a little bit of patience and care, your knee will be back to normal before you know it.
How Long Does It Take To Cure Runner’s Knee?
At the end of the day, there is not a specific answer as to how long it will take for your case of runner’s knee to be cured. Recovery time will truly depend on your body and the severity of your injury. Remember that everyone’s body heals and works at a different rate.
However, while you are getting better, it never hurts to try out new activities that won’t aggravate your injury. For instance, if you are a runner or jogger, you could try swimming in the pool. Whatever the case might be you never want to rush your recovery because you could end up hurting yourself worse and increasing the severity of the injury.
All About Knee Braces For Running
If you’re interested in going for a run, but are scared of injuring yourself, you should consider utilizing knee braces. Although there is often a misconception that knee braces are only suitable for those that are injured, this isn’t the case. In fact, these braces can be incredibly beneficial for athletes, blue-collar workers and anyone that wishes to enhance their performance. Below, you’ll learn more about knee braces for running and their enormous benefits.
What Are They?
As someone, who runs frequently, you’ve likely encounter knee pain at some point or another. The good news is that you may be able to avoid this problem, by equipped with yourself with the right brace. A knee brace for running is nothing more than a brace, which is specifically designed to be beneficial during the process of jogging or running. These braces are designed in a manner, which helps to restrict specific motions, while still allowing you to run at the top speed. This helps to keep your knee properly postured and aligned, which ultimately reduces the risks for injury.
There are many runners, who avoid knee braces, because they believe they’re not effective or helpful. This couldn’t be further from the truth. The truth of the matter is that braces can be immensely beneficial in various ways. Below, you’ll find a list of some of the top benefits associated with running braces.
- Can help you avoid future injury or knee damage
- Provides additional stability to the knee
- Increases proprioception
- Helps to reduce patella movement
- Compresses the knee and increases blood for faster recovery after a strenuous workout
- Enhances mindset and can improve your overall performance
Truthfully, anyone that wishes to lift weights, skip rope, or run on the treadmill should equip him or herself with a good knee brace. Of course, this item can also be beneficial for other purposes. If you work a strenuous job, which puts a tremendous amount of pressure on your knees, a knee brace can help you make it through the workday, without any pain or aches.
How To Use Knee Braces For Running
In order to truly benefit from your knee braces, they need to be worn properly. If the braces are off a bit, they will not be effective and could result in further damage and pain. Below, you’ll find a list of tips, which can help ensure your brace is worn properly.
- When applying the brace, you should align the hinges with the bend of your knee
- Be sure that the fasteners are applied around the leg properly
- During your run, you should stop periodically and check the brace’s positioning. If it has shifted around, you’ll want to realign it for maximum support and effect.
The good news is that applying a knee brace isn’t overly complicated. However, you should remain patient and work tediously to ensure everything is absolutely perfect. By doing this, you will be able to decrease the risk of injury, improve your performance and maintain your peace of mind, while pushing yourself to your limits! With these benefits, everyone that truly wishes to excel should invest in worthwhile knee braces for running and begin utilizing them sooner rather than later!
Five Best Products to Choose from
Check out these products that are the best knee braces for running:
It doesn’t matter, if you are an athlete or average Joe, your knees are put through a lot of stress every day. However, knee injuries are more common in athletes, because of all the stress they put on their knees, during strenuous activities. This is where a high-quality, durable knee brace can come in handy. With that being said, there are tons of different brands on the market, so how do you know which one is the best? If you are looking for the best knee brace available, you need to check out the Neo G Medical Grade VCS Knee Brace.
This brace can stabilize and support weak or injured knees during strenuous activities. The Neo G Knee Brace comes equipped with a two-point hinge system. This system will help with flexibility and extension movements. One of the best things about this product is that it is one size fits all, and it will fit either the left or right knee as well.
The knee brace is designed out of heat therapeutic neoprene, which will keep the muscles and joints warm, without overheating.
- Provides superior support for weak and injured knee
- Two-point hinge system helps with flexibility and extension movements
- Universal fit (suitable for males and females of all ages)
- Heat therapeutic neoprene prevents overheating and slippage
- Machine washable material
- Compatible with the Neo G 3D cold/hot therapy disk
As you can see, this is the very best knee brace for running available on the market. Not only will it provide your injured knee with superior comfort, but also it will decrease pain and edema, even after an extended workout. Click Here to Check Out The Neo G at Amazon.com!
If you are tired of spending tons of money on orthopedic office visits and physical therapy, it may be time to consider investing in the Winzone knee brace. This brace is designed to offer a superior level of comfort and flexibility, so you can continue to perform your daily routine. Trauma, stress, and repetitive movements can trigger runner’s knee symptoms, but with a high-quality support brace, the reoccurring phases can be decreased, if not totally eliminated.
The Winzone knee brace is designed for men and women. Unlike the prescription knee brace, which can take 5-10 minutes to put on, this brace will only take 5-10 seconds. All you need to do is unfold the brace, place the center opening on top of the patella, hold in place, wrap the brace all the way around the knee, and secure the straps. Yes, it is that simple, plus you can make quick and easy adjustments as needed.
- Extremely affordable
- Decreases pain and edema
- Less restrictive than prescription knee braces
- Can be worn underneath or over top of clothing
- Constructed out of 100% neoprene (prevents overheating)
- Completely machine washable
Winzone knee brace offers unlimited benefits for those suffering from runner’s knee. You can continue participating in your daily workouts. The brace material is so flexible that you bend and squat, while it intact. Click Here to Check Out The Winzone at Amazon.com!
As an athlete, you probably already know that you are prone to lots of knee injuries. It is possible that you have already suffered several. This is where a good quality knee brace can come in handy. If you are in the need of a knee brace, you need to check out the Exous Bodygear Knee Brace.
This brace is truly a unique product thanks to the 4-way compression system. The brace wraps around the knee at all angles, which provides maximum support for weak and injured knees. The 4-strap system not only provides maximum support, but also it prevents the brace from slipping or moving, during the most strenuous exercises.
When you purchase the Exous Bodygear Knee Brace, you will also receive a 100% lifetime guarantee. If at anytime you experience problems or the brace does not fit right, all you have to do is get in touch with customer service and you will be refunded in full.
- 100% lifetime guarantee
- One of the best knee braces for running
- 4-way compression system supports the knee at all angles
- 4-straps keep the brace in position at all times
If you are an athlete, your knees are one of your biggest priorities. This is why it is imperative that you purchase a good quality knee brace like the Exous Bodygear Knee Brace. Click Here to Check Out The Exous at Amazon.com!
If you have recently suffered a knee injury, you probably already know the importance of a good knee brace. With so many different braces on the market, it can be difficult to find one that will prove to be effective. Well, take a look at the Venom Breathable Neoprene Knee Brace. This is truly a great product that can provide you with lots of benefits.
To start off, this knee brace is constructed of the highest-class sweat resistant material. The material can keep sweat away from your skin, which will prevent any irritation or itchiness. The Venom knee braced is equipped with two durable Velcro straps to ensure reinforcement and guaranteed fit. However, you should not let this fool you because, the surface friction makes this brace very easy to remove.
The form-fitting material installed in this knee brace is off the charts. This knee brace will move and form with every little movement you make. At the same time, you will have complete freedom over your movements. On top of this, the brace is capable of absorbing high-impact. This helps to ensure that the brace can be utilized even during the most intense exercises.
- High-class sweat resistant material
- Dual Velcro straps
- Surface friction makes this brace easily removable
- Form-fitting material
At the end of the day, you cannot go wrong with this great affordable knee brace. It is comfortable, effective, affordable, and well worth its overall cost. Click Here to Check Out The Venom at Amazon.com!
If you are an avid athlete and have been diagnosed with runner’s knee, this is probably not your first experience with this condition. Many athletes will suffer from this condition from time to time, if they do not take precautions to prevent it. The Active Athletes knees brace is designed to reduce stress on the patellofemoral, which is most often the target of stress and repetition injuries.
If you do not have healthcare insurance coverage, you probably do not want to pay out of pocket for an expensive prescription knee brace. Well, why should you have to, when the Active knee brace will provide the same benefits, if not more for a very affordable price?
Many of the knee braces prescribed by orthopedics and physical therapists will be extremely stiff and nonflexible. This will restrict your movement and potentially prevent you from being able to continue your daily exercise regimen. The Active Athletes knee support is not only flexible, but it is superbly comfortable and lightweight.
- Great knee brace for running
- Lightweight design
- Easy to put on and take off
- Adjustable Velcro strap
- Stays intact, even when during strenuous activities
Overall, the Active Athletes brace is capable of reducing stress on the knee, provides alignment, and can be worn comfortable under clothing. Click Here to Check Out The Active at Amazon.com!
Knee Braces For Running Comparison Chart
|Neo G||The Best|